Steel frame windows have always been the best choice for strength and durability in building the home. Due to the different welding processes used, the products usually come out with best quality in terms of strength and security for your homes. Not only are they durable and strong, these windows with steel frames also show the beauty and elegance of steel itself. The versatility of steel in steel frame windows makes it a top choice for architects and designers.
Windows with steel frames have been around since 1860, but did not become popular until the late 1890. At the start of the industry, steel frame windows struggled to compete for material and labor cost against wooden frame windows. The mass production of windows with steel frames through the technology borrowed from the rolling industry made windows with steel frames cost competitive with the usual framed windows. And to add to the fame that steel frame windows are getting, the series of devastating fires had led to some building codes that advise the use of windows with steel frames over others.
Common Steel Frame Window Types
- Fixed steel frame windows could be a part of any design. It does not open and can simply be a large pane of glass or divided into smaller ones. These steel window frames are suitable for fixing in standard units.
- Awning steel frame windows on the other hand pivots vertically. It has hinges on top and opens outward. It is composed of handles and hinges hidden on top of the frame. It is commonly installed for in standard builds.
- Pivot steel frame windows operate by rotating the panes vertically or horizontally about the frame. The intricate style of these steel frame windows attracts visual interest and gives a good airflow. This type of windows can have locks to secure it from opening from the outside. They are inexpensive types and require low maintenance as well.
- Casement steel frame windows open from the sides. They provide maximum airflow. They are usually side hung with hinges on the sides. This steel frame window is mostly used in residential type of buildings.
- Hopper steel window frames are the types that open inwards. This type is somehow similar to awning steel frame window type. They are hinged at the bottom and are useful for designs with restricted space or access.
Different steel window frames could include the use of most ferrous or magnetic metals – rolled steel in particular. Stainless steel and aluminum are also commonly used for windows with steel frames. Different combinations of these steel window frame types constitute to proper ventilation and view for any build design. New types of steel frame windows include thermal insulation. Steel frame windows could be considered old and classic, but the way they are used in style for designs nowadays just proves that their beauty is timeless. For your different type of steel frame window needs, you must seek professionals and check out the different combinations and designs you can get from steel frame windows.